Skip to main content

Required Notification Section

Student/Parent Information

Residency Requirements

A pupil is considered a resident of the Upland Unified School District in any of the following circumstances:


1.  The pupil’s parent or guardian resides in the district

2.  The pupil is placed in a foster home or institution within the district

3.  The pupil has been granted an interdistrict transfer by the district

4.  The pupil lives in the home of a caregiving adult that is located in        the district, so long  as a Caregiver’s Affidavit Form has been                properly  completed

5.  The pupil resides in a hospital located in the district


Residency verification is a state required responsibility and falsification of information will be grounds for immediate cancellation of enrollment.


New Students

All students new to the Upland Unified School District are required to provide the following:

•    Proof of residency

•    Transfer from the previous school

•    Proof of birth date

•    Proof of Polio, Measles, D.P.T., Mumps, Hepatitis B, and                      Chicken Pox immunizations


Required Immunizations

California Health and Safety Code require that prior to first entrance, pupils must be fully immunized against diphtheria, pertussis (whooping cough), tetanus, poliomyelitis, measles, mumps, rubella, chickenpox and hepatitis B in the manner and with immunizing agents approved by the State Department of Health Services. Parents may request an exemption from Immunization requirements for personal and/or medical reasons. Such exemptions must be appropriately recorded on the California School Immunization Record. (California Administrative Code, Title 17, Pt.

1, Articles 1-5). The Upland Unified School District fully cooperates with the local health officials in the prevention and control of communicable diseases in school-age children. (Education Code 49403)

Physical Examination

California State legislation requires a health checkup of all students before entering first grade. (AB2068). However, as a parent, you may file annually with the principal of the school, a statement in writing, stating that you do not consent to a physical examination for your son/daughter. When there is a reason to believe that a student may be suffering from a contagious or infectious disease, however, he/she shall be sent home and shall not be permitted to return until the school authorities are satisfied that a contagious disease does not exist. Free health screening is available. Contact your school office. (Education Code 49451)

Health Screenings

A dental oral health examination is required prior to enrollment in kindergarten. A physical examination is required prior to enrollment in first grade. Free health screenings are available through the County Health Department and the District Healthy Start Program.

  Emergency Cards/Change of Address or Telephone

Parents are required to fill out an emergency card for their child. It is imperative that in case of an emergency the parent(s) of a child can be contacted by the school office. Every effort should be made to keep the school office informed of any change of address or telephone number as soon as possible. (No addresses or phone numbers will be given out by the school office.)

Contacting Your Child

The school office will try to relay emergency phone messages to your child. Children may not use the office phone unless it is an emergency.  They may use the phone in the classroom with permission from their teacher. Any articles to be delivered to a student should be left in the office where it will be placed in the teacher’s box.  No classroom will be interrupted during instruction time.

Administration of Medication

Medication that is prescribed for a student by a physician that must be taken during a school day may be supervised by the school Health Technician or a designated staff member. This service will be provided only upon receiving detailed instructions from the physician and written parental consent. (Education Code 49423)


Elementary school children living 1 ½ miles, seventh and eighth graders living 2 ½ miles, and ninth through twelfth graders living 3 ½ miles or more from school are provided with bus transportation. Only children who are REGULAR bus riders may ride the bus. Regulations prohibit the transporting of animals or glass containers. Children should follow proper behavior on the bus and at bus stops. Students must follow the directions of the driver and show proper respect. Bus rules include:

•    Keep hands inside the bus.

•    Talk quietly while on the bus.

•    Sit down as directed by the driver.

•    Respect property around the bus stops.

•    Exit the bus at home stops only.

Violations will result in citations sent home and/or denial of bus privileges.

Free and Reduced Meals

 Free and reduced meals are available to students of qualifying families.  Free and reduced meal applications are mailed out to all currently enrolled students during the summer. New students receive an application at the time of enrollment.

Extended Day Care

 Extended day care is offered at several of the school sites. Contact your local school daycare office @ 909-949-7755 for additional information.


Student accident insurance handled by a private carrier is available. These forms are sent home to all parents early in the school year. (Education Code 49472)

Demographic Information

As part of the State STAR testing program, the Upland Unified School District is required to provide demographic information to the California Department of Education. This information includes student’s birth date, place of birth, ethnicity, home language, parent education level, and amount of time the student has been continuously enrolled in the district. Generally, we can obtain this information from registration forms and school records. If a parent’s level of education has changed since last year, please contact the school’s office with this information.

School Accountability Report Cards

Each school annually develops a school accountability report card. The school accountability report cards are posted on the District’s website   (Education Code 35256)

Emergency Drills

Emergency drills are held regularly to practice the proper behavior in case of an emergency. The District has adopted an Emergency Preparedness Plan which has been implemented at each school. Copies of this plan are available by request.

Child Abuse

School district personnel are required, by law, to report any suspected cases of child abuse to the appropriate agencies.

Pesticide Products

Pesticides are used on a very limited basis but are still necessary to keep schools from becoming infested with insects and other pests. Pesticide application is done by a professional, licensed firm, using a new generation of pesticides which are proven to be less harmful than many of those available for purchase in local supermarkets.

All applications are done after school hours to eliminate possible contact with students and staff. Herbicides are used to help with the control of weeds on playing fields. Applications are done using manufacturers recommendations and only after school hours. Insecticides used by the district include Talstar One – active ingredient “Bifenthrin” and Tempo 20 WP – active ingredient “Cyfluthrin.”

If you would like to be notified of future application dates, please contact your school site principal. Information on pesticides and herbicides may be found at the Department of Pesticide Regulation’s website(Education Code 17612).

Asbestos Management Plan

An updated management plan for asbestos-containing material in school buildings is available at the district office.

 Volunteer Program

We are proud of our volunteer program. Parents (grandparents, neighbors, etc.) volunteer many hours each year in service to our schools. If you are interested in helping with typing, parties, making materials, field trips, library work, classroom instruction, etc., please check with your child’s teacher or school office.

Right to Free Appropriate Education

All students, including those with exceptional needs, age three to twenty-one years, have a right to a free, appropriate public education. Any parent who believes that his/her child might need special education services has the right to request an individual assessment by the school student study team. To initiate such a referral, the parent may contact the school his/her child attends or the Director of Student Services at (909) 985-1864 ext. 275. (Education Code 56040)

Non-discrimination Policy

The Upland Unified School District does not discriminate on the basis of religion, age, gender, color, sex, sexual orientation, ethnic group identification, race, ancestry, national origin or physical or mental disability in any program or activity or in its personnel employment practices. Students, parents, or guardians of students, who have any concerns about the information included in this notice, or who wish to file individual grievances, should contact the Assistant Superintendent of Personnel, (909) 985-1864 extension 226 or at 390 N. Euclid Avenue, Upland, California 91786. (Section 504, Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended  and Title IX, Educational Amendment of 1972)

The board affirms its policy to ensure equal educational opportunity for all students. District programs and activities shall be free from discrimination based on religion, age, gender, color, sex, sexual orientation, ethnic group identification, race, ancestry, national origin or physical or mental disability in any program or activity or in its personnel employment practices.

The Superintendent or designee shall ensure that the district provides auxiliary services as required to afford individuals with disabilities equal opportunity to participate in or enjoy the benefits of a service, program or activity.

Individuals with disabilities shall notify the Superintendent, designee or principal if they have a disability that requires special assistance or services. Reasonable notification should be given prior to the school-sponsored function, program or meeting.